Comité de Madres y Familiares de los Desaparecidos, Presos Políticos y Asesinados, Monseñor Oscar Arnulfo Romero

(Committee of Mothers and Relatives of the Disappeared, Political Prisoners and Assassinated, Monsignor Oscar Arnulfo Romero)

Saturday, June 9, 2012

[Ruby] A ten year old's impression of El Salvador

2006 was the first year that Inez and I worked with Co-Madres. That year I also took my then 10 year old daughter, Celeste, with me to El Salvador. A couple years later she wrote this poem. I think it sums it up pretty well. (Celeste is now 16.) Celeste also helped me make a video for our Indiegogo campaign. Well, she made the video, I watched her do it. (To see the video, go to  http://www.indiegogo.com/comadres)


It took me three days to get used to...

The smell
of filthy streets
Celeste, Alicia & I at memorial, Parque Cuscatlan
of the ocean big and wide
of the garden full of bright luscious flowers.

The sight
of the street side cooking
of men holding guns by every store
 of the people walking in the flow of the cars.

The taste
of a warm enchilada with gallo pinto every night
of the fired corn at the fair
of the coconut drink sold by the highway.

The feel
of loving for all
of fear of gun men
of happiness at the carnival.

The sound
of a million voices
of the madre telling us to eat more.
Of an unheard cry from memories of the past.

                        by Celeste Buss


1 comment:

  1. Celeste, that is beautiful! You made me teary!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete